Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tragedy

This is supposed to be the happy blog post where I get to tell you that the Miata is back, successfully insured for daily summer service. It won't be.

Another grey and dreary day in this June that seems to be determined to break the record for being the coldest and with the least days of sun finally broke my will. If the weather wasn't going to cooperate I was at least going to pretend like it was. The offers on the Infiniti were few and far between and too low to make selling it a reasonable idea. So I decided to keep it as the winter car and this meant that I could transfer the registration to the Miata and park the Infiniti for the summer. A quick trip to the Aircare money grab, a stop at the insurance broker to transfer the plates, and the Miata was ready to go. I was so happy and the sun even came out. Unfortunately my happiness whipped me into a joy filled idiot frenzy. With a huge grin on my face I zipped off in the Miata and promptly crashed it.

Trying to power-slide while making a yellow light left turn (does it get any dumber than this?) I lost control of the rear-end and spectacularly spun out into the curb bending the front suspension. My Miata summer, over in all of five minutes of adrenaline fuelled driving.

The Miata is back home in the garage. I'll asses the damage and hopefully it can be fixed. The sun might shine again.

Update

Here's some photos I took in my garage:

You can see the wheel is not where it's supposed to be in the wheel well
There's not a lot of damage to the wheel and the tire might be okay
This is a nice view of the front suspension and all the damage. I've labelled it appropriately. The lower control arm got the worst of it.
Here's a view from above. The strut is supposed to be in the centre of that opening.
Now I've got to take all that bent stuff out and get new stuff to put in....

1 comment: