Friday, January 11, 2008

Air Filter

Todays post is about air filters. Important things: filter the air going into the engine. When a filter gets dirty and clogged a car ends up getting worse fuel economy, reduced power, and can get all stumbly, so it's a good idea to check the air filter often, like when you do an oil change. Now last time I did an oil change on the Infiniti I neglected to do this simple task and as a result I've recently noticed some real poor fuel economy. Usually the Infiniti averages about 12l/100km but lately it's been burning 15 to 20l /100km. That's getting up to SUV territory. So yesterday I took out the filter and sure enough it was covered in road gunk. Now the Infiniti doesn't have a normal paper filter, it's got a fancy FRAM Airhog, it's the type of filter you don't throw away but clean then re oil and it's supposed to be better than a paper one because it lets more air through. However cleaning it and oiling it is a messy chore and it has to be out of the car for at least overnight because it has to dry and then how do you know you've totally cleaned it, I think over time it will get worse and worse. I don't think I would recommend getting one of these, they look fancy but I think it's better to just stick to the cheap throw away paper ones because you know you're getting a clean one out of the box.

I was looking at some old photos from November and I came across this one. It's the Miata shortly before it went off the road watching the sun set. Don't worry, you'll be back soon enough baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment