Monday, September 3, 2007

My First Sports Car


About 2 weeks ago I bought a 1990 Mazda Miata. I love driving and I've always wanted a true sports car. I wanted something cheap and not too fancy. I also considered a Porsche 944 and a Mazda RX-7 but went with the Miata for it's simplicity and reliability. I found one at the BC trade-in centre that had all the right features. It's in good mechanical shape and the body is in ok shape for a 17 year old car.

On that first day I drove the car from Vancouver to Lilooet. It was a nice drive to get a feeling for the car. It's unlike any car I've ever driven; it's like driving a go-cart, the steering is direct, the tail wags out when prompted, and the sensation with the top down and wind in your hair is really quite something. It's a tight fit, at 6'2'' it feels like I'm wearing the car. The engine isn't the most responsive. It takes it's time to rev up and hasn't got a lot of torque before 4000rpm. But that's kind of part of the fun because you have to work hard to keep it boiling and you never get up to speeds that will loose you your license.

In my two weeks of ownership I've installed a new stereo, door speakers, headrest speakers, and a LED light and switch to look like an alarm and hopefully deter would be thieves.

No comments:

Post a Comment